Thursday, August 04, 2005

Telemarketer Joke from a Friend

The phone rang as I was setting down to my anticipated evening meal, and as I answered it, I was greeted with "Hello. Is this Karl Brummer?" Not sounding anything like my name, I asked who is calling? The telemarketer said he was with The Rubber-Band Powered Freezer company or something like that. Then I asked him if he knew Karl personally and why was he calling this number. I then said off to the side, "Get really good pictures of the body and all the blood." Then I turned back to the phone and advised the caller that he had called into a murder scene and would have to stay on the line because we had already traced this call and he would be receiving a subpoena to appear in court to testify in this murder case.

I then questioned the caller at great length as to his name, address, phone number at home, at work, who he worked for, how he knew the dead guy and could he prove where he had been about one hour before he made this call. The telemarketer was obviously getting very concerned and his answers were given in a shaky voice. I then told him we had located his position and the police were entering the building to take him into custody and at that point I heard the phone fall and the sound of his running away.

My wife asked me as I returned to our table why I had tears streaming down my face and so help me, I couldn't tell her for about fifteen minutes. My meal was cold but after what I had just pulled off, it was the best meal in a long, long time.

No comments: