Saturday, February 11, 2006

Like to Draw?

I remember those ads on the back covers of comic books that were supposed to be tests for artistic talent. You drew the picture of a pirate (or a clown or a dog...) and mailed it in to see if you had the talent to win a free course in commercial art. Of course, what did I know about generating sales leads and cold calls? I was just a 9-year old kid back then who had to steal a postage stamp from the Old Man in order to get my drawing in. Never mind the incredible steps I had to take to swipe an envelope, address it AND manage to get it into a mailbox while out on a walk with our sister. Anyway, one day weeks later when I had finally forgotten about my dreams of learning to be a great artist by correspondence, this dude shows up at our front door looking for the artiste who had submitted this masterpiece. Of course, Dad answered the door and -- after a few incredulous minutes of listening to this peddler -- sent him on his way. I, of course, didn't hear the end of that one for at least a week...

Well, what's this got to do with my current post? I found a new site where you can doodle your own drawing to send to someone so you can get one back. Nice simple concept and a lot of fun. Here's the link to SketchSwap. Have fun!

No comments: