Wednesday, January 25, 2006

T-Shirts as Great Social Humor

A lot of my old friends know me as having made my first big bucks in the t-shirt business. So while I have sworn off ever wearing imprinted t-shirts or logo-branded crap for life, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate an exceptionally funny one that comes along on rare occasion.

I looked on the t-shirt phenomenon as something of a social commentary for the times. When I first started printing them in the late 60's (right after the short-lived tie-dyed craze), the more irreverant the better. We made political statements and made fun of corporate slogans, among some of the subjects we picked. This clip came over the wire today that covered a company producing the Willy Nagin and the Chocolate Factory t-shirts and bumper stickers. I love it! Here's to Ray Nagin -- Eat chocolate, you racist bastard!

No comments: