So all those urban legends about spontaneous human combustion keep you up late at night? More episodes of X-Files than you can remember? Here's a recent news story out of Sydney, Australia that will have your hair standing on end (Ha ha). I didn't know that this could really happen. Makes you think a little, no?
Power-dressing man leaves trail of destruction
Sept. 16, 2005
SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian man built up a 40,000-volt charge of static electricity in his clothes as he walked, leaving a trail of scorched carpet and molten plastic and forcing firefighters to evacuate a building.
Frank Clewer, who was wearing a woolen shirt and a synthetic nylon jacket, was oblivious to the growing electrical current that was building up as his clothes rubbed together.
Story con'd here.