Thursday, July 27, 2006

Why I Still Love the Internet (er Web 2.0...)

A couple of weeks ago, the side mirror on my black Windstar van got demolished. Those suckers can run as high as $350 by the time you add up the price of the part from a Ford dealer and the cost to install it. But that night, I went on eBay and did a search for 2001 Windstar Mirror and voilá! A brand new motorized passenger side mirror for that make and model and year! Big bonus: It's black! All for $34.95 plus shipping. (I have no idea how this guy makes money other than on the shipping and handling fees but more power to him!)
















The mirror arrived a few days later in a well-packed box. But a typical garage would still charge me for at least an hour of labor to install this baby. So back online again to do a Google search: "install 2001 windstar mirror." Here's what came up:
























Once I found the correct instructions, it was simply a matter of having just a couple of hex wrenches that fit the bolts holding in the door panel (3 of them) and then removing the inner panel and uncoupling the old mirror (3 more bolts and a clip).. Once I made sure that the mirror actually worked, I re-installed the inside door panel like I knew what I was doing. Time elapsed: 25 minutes! All without having to leave home. And THAT is why I still love the Internet.

What's your favorite recent story of how the Internet affects your daily life?

No comments: