Sunday, June 18, 2006

Driving in India

You think traffic is bad in your city? Ha! Try driving overeas in India or China. A friend of mine sent me this YouTube video of traffic at just one intersection somethere in India. Absolutely NO traffic lights or traffic cops, that's for sure (they're too busy handling outsource work for us over here!).

I still remember one of my trips to China a few years back. We were being driven into the mainland to visit my Grandparents' house back in the old village. As we went through one small city along the way, I actually saw this maintenance guy precariously balanced up on the very top of a 10-foot ladder, calmly changing a traffic signal light as hundreds of cars streamed around him trying to dodge his ladder without slowing down. I kept watching him out the back window of our minibus as long as I could and he actually managed to stay untouched. Just when you think traffic's really bad here...

No comments: