- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
- No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.
- "Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
- Almonds are members of the peach family.
- Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
- Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.
- There are only four words in the English language which end in"-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous and hazardous.
- Los Angeles' full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula" and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size, "L.A."
- A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
- An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
- Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
- In most advertisements, including newspapers, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.
- Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
- The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "It's A Wonderful Life".
- A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
- It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
- The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
- John Lennon's first girlfriend was named Thelma Pickles.
- The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
More Odd Facts
Posted by RobertinSeattle at 12/21/2005 05:50:00 PM